The UAE has a tremendous potential for the development of solar energy due to its high rate of exposure to sun all year round. On an average, it receives about 10 hours of  for 350 days in a year. In Dubai, available global irradiation usable by photovoltaic (PV) technology averages 2,150 kWh/m2/y (kilowatt hours per square meters per year) and the direct part of the irradiation (DNI) which is used by Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) is about 1,850 kWh/m2/y.

In 2017, UAE set an energy strategy for 2050 which aims at increasing the clean energy’s share in the total consumption to 50%, saving around AED700 billion. In order to meet these goals, UAE will have to invest over $163 billion in clean energy, which amounts to around $4.6 billion annually. As part of this strategy, 25% of the Dubai’s total power output will be generated through clean sources by 2030 with estimated savings of around $1.9 billion annually, and 75% power generated through clean energy by 2050.

By 2030, Dubai aims to equip rooftops of all the buildings by solar panels under DEWA’s Shams Dubai initiative. These PV panels will then be connected to the DEWA’s power grids which will help distribute power to both industrial and residential developments. Abu Dhabi has also launched a government sponsored solar rooftop initiative which aims at achieving 500MW PV on both industrial and residential rooftops within 20 years by making PV technology more affordable to building and industrial owners.

In April 2019, Abu Dhabi Waste Management Centre (Tadweer) opened the first battery solar system in the region at Al Dhafra Landfill. This 150 KWh, state of the art energy storage system will prevent the usage of 138,000 liters of diesel and eliminate the emission of 117 tons of CO2 yearly, equivalent to planting 13,000 trees.

Furthermore, five waste-to-energy ongoing in the UAE and leading all the way is Sharjah Waste to Energy Facility. A 121 million AED facility, joint venture between Bee’ah and Masdar, will process more than 37.5 tons of municipal solid waste per hour and generate 30MW of clean energy.

Ultimately, the usage of solar energy is on the rise and implementing it in our daily lives will be a defining element in determining the condition of our ecosystem. Buildzone aims at utilizing solar energy to construct industrial projects reducing the usage of electricity and oil to power up factories.